Tuesday 3 May 2011

I looked at the layouts and articles in some double page spreads in major R&B magazines for ideas on what my cover story should be about, how the page should be laid out and the kind of language I should use. Below are three double page spreads which I analysed.
I noticed three main layouts, the main layout consisted of  a main image taking up half the article text taking up the conventions of the page along as a few images with captions surrounding it, this seemed to be the most popular layout throughout all of the magazines I looked at. Another type of layer that I picked out consisted of one large image on the right hand side with a large block of text. The problem with this kind of layout is that the large block of text may put off readers as it is tiny and plainly laid out, however the way the image is cropped into the text complements the page. The final type of layout I identified is a very unique one as it features a large picture of the artist that the article is about in the centre with the text wrapped around it, the text was also set in small columns which makes it look like there is less writing; I believe this is a good idea as it may attract more readers due to its colourfulness and the way the text is wrapped around the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment