Monday 7 February 2011

My first thoughts

The first thing I had think about before making my music magazine was what genre my magazine should be. I thought it would be a good idea to chose to do a genre which I am familiar with, as a result I chose to create an R&B magazine. I realised that some images and fonts I may use may overlap with other genres such as pop and hip hop because R&B is a very broad genre. To make sure I get a clear idea of the genre I began by operationalzing my chosen genre by asking questions such as 'what is R&B?' And 'what does it involve'

R&B is the an abbreviation which stands for Rhythm and blues, it is a popular African American music that originated in the 1940s. Contemporary R&B  is a music genre that combines elements of both hip hop and R&B.

I looked at magazines such as Vibe magazine and King magazine as well as videos on MTV base (an R&B) music TV station. I also looked at some pictures of R&B artists.
I learned that R&B has become very sexualised over the years but has also brought out a lot of Strong, confident female rappers and singers who seem to be in control of their lives. However a lot of the females have to sexualise themselves in order to sell and fit in properly with the genre which may not mean that they are in full control of their image. Males on the other hand tend to wear a lot of bling and dress come out topless and have a fit build, I believe this is to attract females and show other men that 'toned is sexy and it is what females want'.
Some other stuff I found that related to R&B included:
-Low cut tops for females
-Big bust for females
-Toned men
-Sex being glamorised
-Men being surrounded by many girls
-Clubbing/partying
-Rap
-Showing as much skin as possible
-whining/grinding as a dominant dance move as well as ' the jerk' dance move

With the knowledge gained  from my
operationalization I made a mood board showing things that represent the R&B:


No comments:

Post a Comment